Set 1 due Monday Oct 11 #1,3,10,13
- A 15.0 kg block is pulled by a horizontal force of 30.0 N along a rough horizontal surface at constant velocity. What is the coefficient of friction?
2. A 4.0 kg toboggan rests on a frictionless icy surface and a 2.0 kg box rests on top of the toboggan. The coefficient of static friction between the box and toboggan is .60, whereas kinetic friction coefficient is .51.. The box is pulled by a 30 N force along the horizontal parallel to the icy floor. What are the magnitudes and directions of the resulting accelerations of the block and toboggan?
3. In attempting to move a heavy couch (mass 200 kg) across a carpet, a man finds he must exert a horizontal force of 700 N to get the couch to barely move. Once the couch starts moving, the man continues to push with 700 N and his daughter, a physics major, estimates that it then accelerates at 1.10 m/s2. Determine (a) the coefficient of static friction and (b) the coefficient of kinetic friction between the couch and the carpet.
4. A 10-kg mass and a 2.0-kg mass are connected by a light string over a massless, frictionless pulley. If g = 9.8 m/s2, what is the acceleration of the system when released?
5. A sled weighs 100 N. It is held in place on a frictionless 20° slope by a rope attached to a stake at the top; the rope is parallel to the slope. Find the tension in the rope.
6. A sled weighs 100 N. It is held in place on a frictionless 20° slope by a rope attached to a stake at the top; the rope is parallel to the slope. What is the normal force of the slope acting on the sled?
7. A 100-kg box is placed on a ramp. As one end of the ramp is raised, the box begins to move downward just as the angle of inclination reaches 15°. What is the coefficient of static friction between box and ramp?
8. A 300-kg crate is placed on an adjustable inclined plane. As one end of the incline is raised, the crate begins to move downward. If the crate slides down the plane with an acceleration of 0.70 m/s2 when the incline angle is 25°, what is the coefficient of kinetic friction between ramp and crate? (g = 9.8 m/s2)
9. A 250-kg crate is placed on an adjustable inclined plane. If the crate slides down the incline with an acceleration of 0.70 m/s2 when the incline angle is 25°, then what should the incline angle be for the crate to slide down the plane at constant speed? (g = 9.8 m/s2)
10. A man pulls a sled at a constant velocity across a horizontal snow surface. If a force of 80 N is being applied to the sled rope at an angle of 53° to the ground, what is the force of friction between sled and snow?
11. A 150-N sled is pulled up a 28° slope at a constant speed by a force of 100 N. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction between sled and slope?
12. Jamal pulls a 150-N sled up a 28.0° slope at constant speed by a force of 100 N. Near the top of the hill he releases the sled. With what acceleration does the sled go down the hill?
13. Dana uses a rope to pull a box that weighs 300 N across a level surface with constant velocity. The rope makes an angle of 30° above the horizontal and the tension in the rope is 100 N. What is the coefficient of friction?