ESSENTIAL QUESTIONS FOR
100 ESSENTIAL MATH QUESTIONS
1. What is the value of the 6 in 3,968?
2. Write 8,917 in word form.
3. Fill in 4,918___4,891
4. What is the equivalent decimal of 6/10?
5. Fill in .7___.89
6. Write six dollars and seventy-two cents using . and $.
7. Write 3,945 in expanded form.
8. Draw a fractional representation of 3/5.
9. Put in order from least to greatest. 1/3, ½, 1/6. 1/5
10. How do you know that 74 is even divisible by 2?
11. Write a multiplication fact for this array.
12. Draw a picture for 6 divided by 3.
13. 9 6 = 6 __
14. 9 x 6 =
15. 5 x 3 =
16. 49 divided by 7
17. 64 divided by 8
18. My number is less that 60 and rounds to 60. What could my number be?
19. My number is greater than 500 and rounds to 500. What could my number be?
20. Round 3,714 to the nearest thousand.
21. 6,12, 18, __, __, __
22. 3, __, 7, __, 11, __, 15
23. 17 ___ = 40
24. Name 2 examples of a quadrilateral.
25. A pentagon has ___ sides.
26. If a radius of a circle is 10 cm., what is the diameter of the circle?
27. Name an object that is shaped like a cylinder.
28. I have 5 sides – 1 square and 4 triangles. What solid figure am I?
29. What is the area of a square with sides measuring 6 cm.?
30. What 2 qualities make objects congruent?
31. What would be the weight of a bag of sugar? 5 ounces or 5 pounds
32. 24 inches = ___ feet
33. 6 cups = ___ pints
34. 3 kilograms = ___ grams
35. Centimeters and yards are used to measure what?
36. A farmer’s fence is in the shape of a square. If the north side of the fence is 300 ft. long, what is the perimeter of the entire fence?
37. What kind of angle does the corner of a piece of paper have?
38. What unit of measure would you use to measure the amount of water in a bathtub?
39. It is 95 degrees F outside. Should you wear a t-shirt or sweater?
40. It is 5 degrees C outside. Should you wear a coat or bathing suit?
41. 5 quarters, 3 nickels, and 2 pennies is how much money?
42. 1 ten-dollar bill, 1 five-dollar bill, 4 quarters, and 2 dimes is how much money?
43. I have a $10 bill and spend $6.58 on lunch. How much change will I have left?
44. What is the area of an equilateral triangle with sides measuring 6 cm.?
45. 356 729
46. 1,893 4,765
47. $1.94 $1.92
48. $23.81 $18.05
49. Mary has 4 new shirts. Each shirt has 3 buttons on it. How many buttons are there in all?
50. Paul bought 2 new packs of pencils. Each pack has 10 pencils. How many new pencils does Paul have?
51. Julie baked one dozen cookies that she divided evenly among her 4 best friends. How many cookies did each friend get?
52. A large pizza has 10 slices. If my family has 5 members in it, how many pieces will each family member get?
53. Estimate the sum of 93 34.
54. Estimate the sum of 315 629.
55. Estimate the difference of 45 – 23.
56. Estimate the difference of 287 – 119.
57. Thomas had 57 baseball cards. For his birthday he got 19 more. How many cards does he have now?
58. Samantha had 117 coins in her collection. She sold 24 to a friend. How many coins does she have left?
59. Draw a clock. Show 5:30.
60. Draw a clock. Show 10:27.
61. I put a cake in the oven at 3:15. It needs to bake for 25 minutes. What time should I take the cake out of the oven?
62. I went for a jog at 6:20. I returned home at 6:55. How long was I gone?
63. Put these numbers in order from least to greatest---17, 107, 117, 170
64. Put these numbers in order from greatest to least--- 1, 256 2, 561 1,562 2,125
65. I have 9 flower pots and 1/3 are broken. How many are broken?
66. I have 12 pairs of jeans. If ½ are too small, how many pairs can I still wear?
67. What is the value of the 6 in 2,867?
68. What is the value of the 3 in 3,590?
69. Write 875 in expanded form.
70. Write 900 20 3 in standard form.
71. Write 4, 502 in written form.
72. About how tall is a bookcase? (A) 3 inches (B) 3 feet (C) 3 yards
73. About how much does a dog weigh? (A) 5 ounces (B) 5 pounds (C) 5 tons
74. About how much water does a bathtub hold? (A) 100 cups (B) 100 gallons (C) 1000 gallons
75. Draw a square. Draw its line of symmetry.
76. Does the capital letter F have a line of symmetry?
77. How many vertices does a hexagon have?
78. How many sides does an octagon have?
79. What 2 solid figures make up a house?
80. What kind of angles make up a rectangle?
81. True or False—a line segment has a beginning and ending point.
82. What is the difference between a line and a line segment?
83. Cindy makes a bead necklace with the following pattern---blue, green, blue, green, etc. What color would the tenth bead be?
84. The pattern on our calendar this month is red, blue, pink, and yellow. What will be the color on the twelfth of this month?
85. How many Mondays are in this month?
86. How many more days until the end of the month?
87. Sara bought 10 yards of yarn, but only used 4 yards to make a scarf. What fraction of the yarn was not used?
88. Main Street and Church Street run parallel to each other. Will they ever cross?
89. 3/6 1/6 =
90. 7/10 – 3/10 =
91. Write 1 and 2/3 as an improper fraction.
92. Write 6/4 as a mixed number.
93. I have a bag with chocolate bars in it. What is the probability that I will pull a Starburst out of the bag?
94. I put 15 boys’ names and 5 girls’ names in a hat. What is the probability of drawing a girl’s name?
95. My spinner has 5 spaces on it. Four are blue and one is yellow. What color am I least likely to land on?
96. On Monday the temperature was 84 degrees. On Wednesday the temperature was 86 degrees. What was the likely temperature on Tuesday?
97. Each day the number of weeds in my yard increases. There were 10 weeds on Monday, 12 on Tuesday, and 16 on Thursday. Predict how many weeds were in my yard on Sunday. (A) 22 weeds (B) 8 weeds (C) 30 weeds
98. I flip a quarter 50 times. Predict how many times it is likely to land on heads.
99. The flag on a boat has 3 straight sides so the flag must be shaped like a ____________.
100. An angle is formed by two _______ with the same endpoint.
100 ESSENTIAL SCIENCE QUESTIONS for 3rd Grade
1. What are 2 important ways that roots help a plant?
2. How do stems help plants?
3. How do leaves help plants?
4. What does it mean for a seed to germinate?
5. What is a seedling?
6. What are several ways that seeds can be spread to other places?
7. Put these stages in the correct order of plant growth: roots form, small plant grows, seedling sprouts, full grown plant, seed is planted
8. How do plants use photosynthesis to make food?
9. How does chlorophyll help a plant?
10. What things make up an environment?
11. What is an ecosystem made up of?
12. What makes up a population?
13. What makes up a community?
14. What things does a habitat provide for a living plant or animal?
15. What are producers?
16. What are consumers?
17. What does a herbivore eat?
18. What does a carnivore eat?
19. What does an omnivore eat?
20. What does a decomposer eat?
21. What does a food chain show?
22. Draw a food chain with these things: bird, snake, caterpillar, hawk
23. How are a predator and prey different? Between a lion and a rabbit, who is the prey and who is the predator?
24. What are the features of an animal’s body called that help it survive in its environment?
25. What are behaviors called that help animals survive in their environment?
26. What are the features on an animal’s body called that help an animal defend itself against prey?
27. Why would an animal use camouflage?
28. Give an example of a physical adaptation on a snake.
29. Give an example of a behavioral adaptation of a bear.
30. Give an example of a defense mechanism of a porcupine.
31. What is hibernation?
32. What are the stages of growth in an animal’s life called?
33. Placing things in categories or groups based on similarities is called ___________________.
34. Which one is a consumer and which is a producer? Why? (Plant, Animal)
35. Give an example of a decomposer.
36. Name the habitats that an alligator, a fox, and a shark would live in.
37. Put these stages of a frog’s life cycle in order: adult frog, egg, tadpole
38. Put these stages of a butterfly’s life cycle in order: caterpillar, adult butterfly, egg, chrysalis/cocoon
39. What is an object called that is solid, formed in nature, and has never been alive?
40. Classify these animals. Which ones swim, fly, and jump? Bird, kangaroo, dolphin, frog, cricket, hawk, shark
41. Classify these animals according to their habitats. (whale, snake, deer, jellyfish, fox, puffer fish)
42. If a construction company began cutting down trees in a forest area, how would this change in habitat affect the deer population?
43. Which type of landform is a place on Earth’s surface that is much higher than the land around it?
44. Which type of landform is a lowland area between higher lands such as mountains or hills?
45. Which type of landform is a deep valley with very steep sides?
46. Which landform is a flat area?
47. Which landform is a flat area higher than the land around it.
48. Which landform is a thin island near a coast?
49. _______________ happens when rocks are broken down into smaller pieces by the forces of wind, water, freezing temperatures, and plants.
50. ______________ moves broken rocks and soil. It is often caused by wind or water and leads to changes in the land.
51. List 3 ways that nature can make very quick (rapid) changes to the Earth’s surface.
52. What are rocks made of?
53. ___________is the part of soil made up of decayed or rotted plants and animals that have died.
54. _________is made up of a mixture of broken rocks and minerals, humus, water, and air.
55. _________ is a type of soil made up of very small grains.
56. _________has large grains with large spaces between the grains. It also has less humus than other soils and lets water leave it quickly.
57. _________ is a type of soil with very fine particles.
58. Name the upper layer of the Earth’s crust where plants grow.
59. What are the 3 layers of soil? Put them in order.
60. True/False? The Earth is made of rocks.
61. What is the outside layer of the Earth called?
62. What is the middle layer of the Earth called?
63. What is the center layer of the Earth called?
64. True/False? The middle layer of Earth is made of layers that are so hot they are almost melted.
65. What are the two parts of the core of the Earth?
66. What is the outer core of the Earth made of?
67. What is the inner core of the Earth made of?
68. Which kind of rock was once melted but has cooled and hardened?
69. Which kind of rock is igneous or sedimentary rock that has been changed by extreme heat and pressure?
70. Which kind of rock has layers?
71. We can identify minerals by looking at their ____________.
72. A ___________ is part of a living thing that died long ago and has been preserved by nature.
73. A ____________ is the shape of a plant or animal left in sediments when the rock formed.
74. A ____________ forms when mud or minerals fill a mold. It will have the exact shape of the animal or thing that made the mold.
75. Air, water, gasoline, metals, coal, and oil are all examples of _____________.
76. List 2 examples of Earth’s materials that can be used as building materials.
77. A material found in nature that can be used by people is called a _______________.
78. Water is one of Earth’s resources. What are some ways to conserve this resource?
79. __________________ means to save or conserve our natural resources by using them wisely.
80. Anything that takes up space is called ______________.
81. A _____________________ is anything that you can observe about an object by using your five senses.
82. In which state of matter would there be a specific amount of space and a definite shape?
83. In which state of matter would there be a volume that stays the same but a shape that could change?
84. In which state of matter would there be no certain shape or volume?
85. Explain what happens in condensation.
86. Explain what happens in evaporation.
87. Give an example of an insulator, a material in which thermal energy CANNOT move through easily.
88. Give an example of a conductor, a material in which thermal energy can move easily through.
89. How fast something moves over a certain distance is its ___________.
90. The area something is moving toward is its _____________.
91. A push or a pull can cause ______________ in an object.
92. _____________ is the measurement of how much matter is in an object.
93. ___________ is the measurement of how much gravity pulls on an object.
94. A ______________ is a rapid (fast) back and forth motion that produces sound.
95. What do vibrating objects produce?
96. Can vibrations be transferred from one material to another?
97. How does an object’s vibration affect its pitch?
98. The ___________ is how loud or soft a sound is.
99. To change the volume, what must be increased or decreased?
100.A word to describe how high or low the tone of a sound is would be _______________________ .
100 Essential Social Studies Questions for Third Grade
1. What is the line of latitude that runs around the middle of the earth?
2. What is the line of longitude that runs down the middle of the earth?
3. What 2 hemispheres do we live in?
4. What ocean does South Carolina border?
5. Which state is to our north?
6. What 2 states border South Carolina?
7. What continent do we live on?
8. What tool shows directions on a map?
9. The foot of the mountains are located in what region?
10. South Carolina has a distinct shape. It is shaped like a ______.
11. Ports can be found in the Low Country near the _____.
12. The Low Country is know for swamps and marshes and what kind of soil?
13. The Fall Line is located in which region of South Carolina?
14. Our state capital is _____________.
15. Our state capital is located in which region?
16. Rivers and streams that run together are called a ___________________.
17. Which region has hills, mountains, and red clay soil?
18. The mountains of the Up Country are part of which mountain chain?
19. Another name for the Midlands is ________.
20. Who were the first South Carolinians?
21. Why did the Native Americans live along major water ways?
22. Native Americans lived in tribes lead by a _____.
23. The first settlers in South Carolina were from what continent?
24. What was the first permanent settlement in South Carolina?
25. The first settlements in our state were along the coast. Why was this important?
26. What cash crops did the early settlers rely on for income?
27. Which South Carolinian was the first person to plant the cash crop indigo?
28. The early settlers and Native Americans ________ to get what they needed from each other.
29. As cash crops became more profitable, how did plantation owners do all the work?
30. Where did the slaves come from?
31. What language/dialect did the slaves speak?
32. Where did the slaves live on a plantation?
33. What were some of the different jobs that slaves performed on a plantation?
34. From what plant did the early settlers get blue dye?
35. The colonists were under which countries rule?
36. Name 2 things that led the colonists to declare their independence.
37. What were people called who were still in favor of British rule?
38. What were the people called who no longer wanted to be under British rule?
39. Where was a major American Revolutionary War battle fought in South Carolina?
40. Thomas Sumter’s nickname was _________.
41. “Swamp Fox” was the nickname of which important revolutionary war figure?
42. What document did the colonists write that stated they were now their own country?
43. What document did the colonists write to set up their own rules of a government?
44. There are three branches of government. Which branch makes the laws?
45. Which branch of government makes sure people are punished for not following the laws?
46. What are the two parts of Congress?
47. Who is the head of the national government?
48. Who is the head of the state government?
49. Who is the head of the local government?
50. What are two things that the local government is in control of?
51. After the Revolutionary War, American imported and exported many items. Which country did they trade with the most?
52. After the war, what were SC most important cash crops?
53. What invention was very important to the plantation owners?
54. Who invented the cotton gin?
55. The cotton gin looked like a ___________.
56. Clemson University was established to teach young men about what?
57. In the time before the Civil War, the South relied on plantations for money. Where did the people in the North work?
58. Before the Civil War, some free African American moved north. How did they get their freedom?
59. What was a cause of the Civil War?
60. South Carolina was the first state to secede from the union. What does “secede” mean?
61. What was the name of the government the states that seceded called?
62. Who was the president of the Confederate States of America?
63. Jefferson Davis was the president of ______________.
64. Who was the president of the US during the Civil War?
65. Who was the general is charge of the Southern troops?
66. Which general led the march through Columbia burning houses and such in his path?
67. During the Civil War, the northern troops blockaded the Charleston harbor. What invention did the southern troops use to try and break the blockade?
68. What was the name of the submarine the southern troops used during the Civil War?
69. What was the biggest effect on the end of the Civil War for slaves?
70. Because of much population growth in our state, our state capital was moved from Charleston to which city?
71. Why was the state capital moved from Charleston to Columbia?
72. What was the document called that gave the slaves their freedom?
73. What is the name of the period after the end of the Civil War?
74. What is it called when you rent land from someone to grow your own crops and pay the rent with the crops?
75. What are textiles?
76. How did textiles change SC after the Civil War?
77. Who was president during World War I?
78. Name two countries fighting for the Allies in WWI?
79. Who were the Allies fighting in WWI?
80. What new inventions did the soldiers use during WWI?
81. What did people plant during WWI to help the cause?
82. What was another name for WWI?
83. Who was president during WWII?
84. People did many things to help out during the war including rationing. What is rationing?
85. Why did people collect metal during WWII?
86. What holiday do we observe in May to honor soldiers who died during a war?
87. What holiday do we observe in November to honor soldiers who have served in a war?
88. Pearl Harbor was bombed by the Japanese on what date?
89. The bombing of Japan ended WWII. We call this day ________________.
90. World War II ended in Europe because which countries surrendered?
91. Germany surrendering to end WWII is called _____________.
92. Our state stone is the ______________.
93. Our state dance is the ______________.
94. Our governor’s name is __________________.
95. Our state animal is the ______________.
96. South Carolina was the ______ state admitted to the union.
97. Why does our state flag have a palmetto tree on it?
98. Why does our state flag have a crescent moon on it?
99. How did the structure of Fort Moultrie allow the colonists to defeat the British?
100. Who was South Carolina’s first governor?